Friday, July 25, 2008

In the beginning...

Lame title for the first post, I know, but it works for me.

I moved to Minneapolis almost exactly 6 years ago. In those 6 years, I've mostly avoided hiking/backpacking in this area, instead choosing to fly somewhere else for my outdoor excursions. There have been occasional visits to state parks and more regular visits to the local wildlife refuge but for the most part I've been more interested in other places.

Well, Terp and I decided awhile ago that we're moving to Denver in '09, probably in late summer or early fall. And that has me thinking that I should really get out there and see the city and state I live in - like now, while I'm still here and it's easy to take off for a quick weekend trip somewhere or a visit to somewhere I've never been in the city.

And that brings me to the beginning of this blog. I've decided to write about those trips and visits, share some photos and see what I've been missing for the past 6 years. I haven't been a total slacker as I/we have done a few trips, but I intend to make an effort to go somewhere or do something new every chance I get until we move. I may or may not write about places already seen - probably a little bit, but I don't want to get in the habit of filling space by going back in time and rehashing old stuff when the point is to see new stuff.

To start, we're headed up to Mille Lacs Kathio State Park this weekend for an overnight camping thing. We've never been there and have no definite plans for what to do. Terp would dearly love to spend all weekend eating s'mores and petting critters, but that's not gonna happen. 

1 comment:

Terp said...

Hey! S'mores are tasty and critters are cool, so don't hate on my plans for our trip! =)