Saturday, October 4, 2008

Wild River State Park


Today was a beautiful fall day. There aren't many weekends left before the weather turns and all the leaves are gone, and I had to get out and go somewhere. Wild River's website said their fall colors were at 50-75% peak color a few days ago and were expected to be at or near peak by today, so that's where I went.

They lied. Or else their definition of peak is vastly different than mine. Or maybe today really was close to their peak and the Wild River trees just suck.

I don't know, but I saw a lot of green leaves with just a little bit of yellow in them, and a few that had totally changed over. I walked around a good part of the park (close to 7 miles) and didn't see a lot. Most of the color was in the lower level plants and not the trees. 

I wound up mostly just wandering, sometimes screwing around with my camera and doing some zoom exposure stuff. It can take a boring shot and make it look kind of cool and interesting. When done right it's great, but done too often it's just a gimmick to cover up boring and/or shoddy photography. Today was the first time I've tried it with my new dSLR and it turned out OK. I just hope it doesn't become a habit because that would mean I'm seeing a lot of really boring things out there. Here it is - hopefully I won't have to resort to this very often.



A few more photos are here. The park doesn't totally suck or anything and it would be fun to go back, rent a canoe and go down the river, but today just wasn't the right day.

No comments: