Saturday, November 1, 2008

Murals on Nicollet

The Walldogs on Nicollet group came together this summer and painted eight murals on Nicollet Avenue. We saw them working on the project and I've noticed a few of the finished murals since then. Today I decided to get out and take some photos while the murals are still relatively fresh and clean. The weather was perfect so that helped motivate me to do this now before the cold and snow gets here.

The first mural is about 3 blocks from our house - I walked over, then continued on south along Nicollet to the last one about 14 blocks down. My wide angle lens allowed me to (mostly) stay out of traffic while I was photographing. I was able to get an unobstructed shot of most of them. Notable exceptions: Salvation Army mural was partially blocked by cars in the parking lot, the TNT mural had a lovely foreground consisting of a picnic table, shopping cart and grill, and the mural at 3537 Lyndale was almost completely gone. Either it had never been completed or it was painted over at a later date - possibly to cover graffiti? In either case, there was just a small postcard mural on one corner with the rest of the side of the building outlined and primed but otherwise blank.

My favorite murals are these:



All my photos are here. The last three are not part of the Walldogs project, just random photos I took on Nicollet today. If you want to see what the mural at 3537 looked like, you can go to their website and search around 'til you find it.

No comments: