Thursday, July 16, 2009

Minneapolis Sculpture Garden

One thing I love about my new apartment is the location: it's close enough to downtown I can walk there, it's near the Wedge so I'm in the middle of lots of stuff, and there aren't drug dealers and prostitutes prowling the streets and alleys all day/night. Now I just have random hippie people wandering the alleys, but those don't bother me. :)

I walked to the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden (next to the Walker Art Center) today. I've been there before but hadn't paid much attention to it as I was only there for the mini-golf that time. It's an interesting place, although the roving gangs of schoolchildren this morning detracted a bit from the experience. I was mostly able to keep away from them and really enjoyed wandering around and taking my time to look at things.

The north end has a small garden/walkway area which was pretty cool. Not a lot of sculptures down there but very pretty nonetheless.









One of the sculptures slightly south of the garden area:


The famous/iconic spoon with cherry:

At the south end is a rectangle formed by marble topped benches, each with a different inscription. Some are a bit bizarre, but I laughed out loud at a bunch of 'em. They're so random that they catch you by surprise. I'm still laughing because they're just so random and kind of stupid - but that's what makes it so great.

I think these 2 are linked in a way.



This one is serious, timely and oh-so-true.

And this is one is just kind of random. Not much more I can say about it.

Since the Walker is only 10-15 minutes away on foot, I'm sure I'll get down there again on a routine basis. More photos are here.

No comments: